Position: Staff Counsel
Deadline: January 1, 2009
The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) is a leading privacy and civil liberties organization based in Washington, D.C. EPIC works to protect the public interest and to promote the Public Voice in decisions concerning the future of the Internet. EPIC pursues public interest litigation, testifies in Congress, conducts public education, organizes conferences, coordinates grassroots advocacy, and publishes books, reports, and an online newsletter.
EPIC is seeking a smart, energetic, hard working, and creative individual to serve as full-time Staff Counsel in our Washington, D.C. offices. EPIC is committed to diversity in the workplace and an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, resume, legal writing sample (5 to 7 pages), and transcript by e-mail to jobs AT epic.org with the subject line: Staff Counsel Position.
Or by postal mail to:
Lillie Coney, Associate Director
RE: Staff Counsel Position
Electronic Privacy Information Center
1718 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20009
- Record of high academic acheivement at a top law school, including high class rank. Law review experience preferred
- Law degree and legal license in at least one jurisdiction
- Excellent legal writing and advocacy skills
- Knowledge of emerging issues concerning privacy, technology, consumer rights, civil liberties, civil rights, identity management, and government surveillance
- Strong oral communication skills
- Ability to produce quality work product and meet short deadlines
- Dedication to protecting the public interest in issues involving privacy, civil liberties, and civil rights
- Research and analyze consumer protection, government surveillance, identity management and other electronic privacy issues
- Research, prepare, and edit legal briefs, analytical reports and memos on electronic privacy issues in a variety of forms including: Congressional testimony; agency comments and complaints; newsletter articles; books; and Web pages
- File and litigate Freedom of Information Act requests as part of EPIC's Open Government Project
- Engage and educate journalists, legislators, students, and the general public on electronic privacy issues through public speaking engagements and media interviews
- Work in harmony with staff and clerks
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and skills and begins at $40,000. EPIC also offers an excellent benefits package including health, vision, and dental insurance.
Applications will be accepted until January 1, 2009.
November 7, 2008
Page URL: http://www.epic.org/epic/jobs/counsel_1108.html