Carnivore FOIA Documents
FBI's "Carnivore Splash Screen"
Significant New FBI Carnivore Documents Obtained by EPIC (Released January 14, 2005)
- FBI Report to Congress on Use of Carnivore/DCS 1000 (pdf) (12/18/03) -- Reports that the FBI used commercial software to conduct electronic surveillance eight times in fiscal year 2003, and did not use Carnivore or DCS 1000.
- FBI Report to Congress on Use of Carnivore/DCS 1000 (pdf) (2/24/03) -- Reports that the FBI used commercial software to conduct electronic surveillance five times in fiscal year 2002, and did not use Carnivore or DCS 1000.
Other FBI Carnivore Documents Obtained by EPIC (Released May 24, 2002)
- EPIC Press Release -- "FBI's Carnivore System Disrupted Anti-Terror Probe"
- FBI Memo on "FISA Mistakes" (4/5/00) -- describes how Carnivore interfered with anti-terrorism investigation involving Usama bin Laden
- FBI Memo on Carnivore Legal Questions (4/11/00)
- FBI Memo Responding to Carnivore Legal Questions (4/12/00)
- Court Order Authorizing Carnivore Installation at Earthlink (C.D. Cal. Feb. 4, 2000) -- only known court decision addressing the use of Carnivore, issued after Earthlink challenged an order directing it to allow a Carnivore installation
- FBI Declaration on Carnivore Installation (1/31/00) -- submitted in support of FBI application for Carnivore order
- Senate Judiciary Committee Letter on Carnivore FOIA Documents
- FBI Response to Senate Judiciary Committee Letter
- U.S. Army Request to FBI for Carnivore ("this software would assist this office's mission")
Second release of Carnivore FOIA Documents (11/16/00). See press release for more details.
- Test report of June 2000 (indicating that Carnivore captures and archives "all unfiltered traffic")
- Deployments (from 1999)
- List of Related Projects
- Omnivore Proposal (includes budget)
- Dragon Net Proposal (includes budget)
- Carnivore Diagrams
- Carnivore Notes
- Questions about Enhanced Carnivore
First release of Carnivore FOIA Documents (10/02/00). See press release for more details.
- Evolution of Carnivore
- Dragon Net - Voice Over IP
- Omnivore Capabilities
- Omnivore Project Closeout
- Omnivore Design
- Omnivore Logon Window
- Omnivore Review
- Omnivore Source Code
- Phiple Troenix (transition from Omnivore to Carnivore)
- Carnivore Purpose
- Carnivore Review
- Carnivore Testing
These documents have been released through a lawsuit EPIC filed against the FBI and the Department of Justice. More information on EPIC's lawsuit is available at the Carnivore FOIA Litigation page.
Share this page:
EPIC relies on support from individual donors to pursue our work.
Subscribe to the EPIC Alert
The EPIC Alert is a biweekly newsletter highlighting emerging privacy issues.