Facial recognition is a powerful technique capable of facilitating a new era of mass surveillance. The technology has been in development since the 1960’s, but only recently has facial recognition begun to be rolled out in large scale. Face surveillance systems are now being implemented as part of commercial services, government administration, and law enforcement functions with little to no legal protections in place. Additionally, the technology is subject to bias and the images used to create the underlying algorithms and databases are often collected surreptitiously and without consent.
EPIC supports a ban on facial recognition.
- EPIC, Coalition Urge DHS to Rescind CBP's Proposed Biometrics Rulemaking + (Mar. 10, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Call on Biden Administration to Abandon "Virtual Border Wall," Invest in Migrant Communities + (Feb. 25, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Urge NYPD to Limit Use of Surveillance Technologies and Disclose More Information on Their Use + (Feb. 25, 2021)
- FAA Announces Final Rule for Remote Drone ID + (Jan. 6, 2021)
- New York Enacts Law Suspending Use of Facial Recognition in Schools + (Dec. 23, 2020)
- Massachusetts Poised to Ban State Use of Biometric Surveillance + (Dec. 1, 2020)
- LAPD Bans Use of Clearview AI Facial Recognition + (Nov. 19, 2020)
- EPIC Seeks Documents on Facial Recognition System Used to Identify D.C. Protester + (Nov. 13, 2020)
- #ReclaimYourFace: European Civil Society Groups Oppose Biometric Surveillance + (Nov. 13, 2020)
- Portland, Maine Votes to Add Teeth to Ban on Facial Recognition + (Nov. 4, 2020)
- EPIC Urges DHS Advisory Committee to Investigate Fusion Centers + (Oct. 27, 2020)
- EPIC, Coalition Urge University of Miami to Ban Face Surveillance + (Oct. 27, 2020)
- Federal Government Advises on Federal Laws Potentially Violated When Intercepting Drones + (Aug. 19, 2020)
More top news
- EPIC Comments on DHS Expanding of Biometric Entry-Exit (Dec. 21, 2020)
- EPIC Comments on DHS Expanding Collection/Use of Biometrics (Oct. 13, 2020)
- EPIC Comments to DPIAC on DHS’s Biometric Entry-Exit Program (Dec. 10, 2018)
Share this page:
Subscribe to the EPIC Alert
The EPIC Alert is a biweekly newsletter highlighting emerging privacy issues.