Alan Butler, EPIC Executive Director
Subscribe to EPIC’s Press List
Overview of EPIC
- Founded in 1994.
- Non-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in Washington, D.C.
- EPIC focuses public attention on emerging privacy and civil liberties issues.
- Independent. EPIC receives no funding from private companies or government agencies (employer matches and attorneys’ fees excepted).
- EPIC works to protect privacy, freedom of expression, democratic values, and to promote the Public Voice in decisions concerning the future of the Internet.
- EPIC pursues a wide range of program activities including public education, litigation, and advocacy.
- EPIC routinely files amicus briefs in federal courts, pursues open government cases, defends consumer privacy, organizes conferences for NGOs, and speaks before Congress and judicial organizations about emerging privacy and civil liberties issues.
- EPIC works closely with a distinguished advisory board, with expertise in law, technology and public policy.
- EPIC maintains several popular web sites – epic.org, thepublicvoice.org, privacycoalition.org, and csisac.org.
- The EPIC Alert, our monthly newsletter, covers issues related to privacy and civil liberties in the digital age. Subscribe here.
EPIC and the Media
EPIC is widely cited in major news outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Associated Press, Politico, Forbes, ABC News, Newsweek, National Public Radio, CNN, and MSNBC.
EPIC in the News (A listing of recent news stories citing the work of EPIC)
EPIC Staff Expertise
Megan Iorio, EPIC Counsel (202.483.1140 x124)
EPIC’s amicus briefs, robocalls, Telephone Consumer Privacy Act, location privacy.
Jeramie Scott, EPIC Senior Counsel and Director, EPIC Surveillance Oversight Project (202.483.1140 x108)
Face Surveillance and facial recognition, government surveillance, drones, biometrics.
Enid Zhou, EPIC Open Government Counsel (202.483.1140 x104)
FOIA cases, open government issues.
Ben Winters, EPIC Counsel (202.483.1140 x126)
Artificial Intelligence, automated decision-making, use of technology in the criminal justice system.
(All senior EPIC staff members are practicing attorneys, licensed in the District of Columbia and elsewhere)