The many forms of Generative AI
September 7, 2023 |
Generative AI tools have captured the attention of industry, government, and the press throughout the last year for both substantial change and substantial concern. In May, EPIC published Generating Harms, a report breaking down real and current harms that the widespread availability and increasing popularity of Generative AI tools is having.
New products using Generative AI tools are popping up each day, and it’s important to be aware of the contexts they’re being used, as well as the capabilities people are using Generative AI tool to attempt to substitute.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of Generative AI tools on the market broken down by type of content generated (i.e. Text, Image, Video, Audio) as well as subsections for specific types and applications. At the bottom, there are specific additional industry examples.
EPIC will continue to monitor the Generative AI industry and advocate for commonsense regulation of all algorithmic harm using both existing laws and sorely needed new protections.
Writing Assistants/Content Creation
- AudioCraft (Meta)
- Voicebox (Meta)
- MusicLM (Google)
- VALL-E (Microsoft)
- Whisper (OpenAI)
- Jukebox (OpenAI)
Code Generation or Completion
Synthetic Data Generation
- Socratic (Google educational chatbot to help students)
- Khanmigo (Khan Academy educational chatbot to help students)
- Ivy Chatbot (Assists students in navigating college/university application process)
- Fetchy (generates lesson plans)
- HealthScribe (AWS model to automatically generate clinical notes from patient convesrsation)
- Med-PaLM 2 (Google model to provide answers to medical questions, including image analysis)
- Suki (AI assistant that automatically generates a note based on patient conversation)
- Nuance (document and analyze patient interactions through a conversational assistant)
- DoNotPay (chatbot to provide services for minor legal issues)
- AmtoAI (assists in drafting contracts)
- CoCounsel (assists on legal tasks including research, contract analysis etc)